Wednesday, October 24, 2007

For the Love of a Horse (Part 2)



Megan's second and final horse show of the season was at Woodstock Acres on Sunday October 21st. She had spent the last few weeks practicing with her instructor and frankly obsessing about this show. I was nervous for her because I knew she had been trying really hard and would be heartbroken without a ribbon, but we had spent a lot of time discussing this possibility and how it was about being there, not the winning...
It turns out my worries were for not. She ribboned 3rd in her first two classes and won the Blue Ribbon and Trophy for the last!!! I don't think she knew what was happening, because she was all controlled and quiet while I was jumping and hugging her instructor!!
Later it was announced that she was tied for Division Champion and would need to have a "Trot Off" to see who the Grand Champion was. This made her more nervous than any of her classes and as soon as it began it was over. In her nervousness, she had lost everything she had practiced over the past few weeks and was again off on her diagonals. However, she took it like a champ and was actually happy for the other girl who won.
As I sit here writing this, I wonder if it's ok to be a little jealous of your own child? Dan's uncle John once joked, "When I die, I want to come back as one of my kids!" I don't think there could be a better saying for this experience.

No comments: